Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Halloween excitement





Yes, it is a horrible thing that I am thinking about Halloween...I don't even think the stores have their stuff up yet. This year, however, it will be extremely exciting because I am throwing a Spooky Thanksgiving party on Halloween. This party will make October the most festive month I will probably ever manage and it will celebrate the 5th Thanksgiving I have hosted.  I am having Thanksgiving on Halloween for a couple of reasons: A) The Sprout is due to arrive on t he 25th of November; B) No one in Britain seems to celebrate Halloween so my friends seem to be free; C) Halloween is on a Saturday.
I don't know if anyone remembers, but I have a strict October/Halloween ritual of a daily horror movie for the month of October and specific festivities on the day of Halloween. This year my Halloween day traditions will be different but the month long movie fest will not be. I am still working on which movies will be incorporated into the marathon, but luckily I blogged about it last year, so I have a list of movies I managed to forget about or would like to see again.
Every year I have to find a horror series (i.e. Nightmare on Elm Street or Halloween) to incorporate into my film festival. My choices are getting a little thin so this year I am making it a Hammer Horror October. I will watch selected movies that were made by the Hammer Film Corporation that brought us such classics as The Horror of Dracula (and many other Dracula movies), The Curse of Frankenstein (and many other Frankenstein films), and the Two Faces of Dr. Jekyll. These movies usually star Peter Cushing and /or Christopher Lee and many of you have probably seen at least one of them. I know that people my parent’s age were raised on them at the theatre.
I am excited that I am having a party because I will get to decorate, make party favours and cook food. Last year I got a Martha Stewart Living magazine for the month of October, so I have been looking over it to see what cool ways I can decorate the house. Her website has tons of stuff on it too.
I already have the menu planned (which wasn't hard because I usually make the same thing every year):

Turkey with sausage, apple and cranberry stuffing (I don't usually eat stuffing, but this was really good last year)
Garlic Mashed Potatoes and Gravy
Pomegranate and apple crisp (this is a new one)
After dinner I am going to offer a horror film marathon if people are up to it, and while we are waiting for food to be ready we are going to carve pumpkins and turnips (because I don't have a TV to watch sports on.)

I am so excited!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ohhhh I am so excited too! I have some cheap tips for Halloween decorations. Last year I went to the 2nd hand store and bought a bunch of picture frames and spray painted them black. I printed goulish pictures from the internet and instead of hanging them on the wall, I suspended them from hooks on the ceiling with fishing wire. They were my family portraits. You can spray paint almost anything, so have fun (actually, Richard should do the spraying). A bag of that spiderwebbbing is also cheap and goes a long way. My dining room was "witches den" and I hung bouquets of dried flowers, herbs or just dead things from the ceiling and chandelier. A roll of black paper can be used to cover books, as table cloth, to make silhouettes for window or just cut out spiders etc. We also had a bunch of Styrofoam boards from various purchases that I carved into headstones and spray painted gray and black for the front lawn along with some crosses of scrap wood. I wove blue Christmas lights between them for some effect. I spent less than $40. Have fun! D

Ms. Molly said...

It's not too early to be thinking about Halloween...I bought candy corn today & we've already been invited to 2 Halloween parties. Are you dressing up?

Jessika said...

Probably, I always do no matter what anyone else does...dont know what though because I will be cooking.