Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Healthcare...ARRRGGGG!!


I have been having a little conversation about the whole health care issue with cousin Jan on Facebook. He is against the whole socialized medicine thing and I am for it.
Now as always, I will put my little disclaimer up about (I should just copy and paste this to the top of my blog) I haven't done a ton of research to back up my statements and this is all from my point of view and how I see it. Please don't yell at me and I apologize for seeming naive. On this subject, however, I have personal experience being a patient of private and socialized health care and am therefore not speaking from a political point of view but from a patients' point of view.

I suppose this is a good way to get some of you to discredit anything I have to say right off the bat, but I will encourage it anyway...see Michael Moore's film "Sicko," you can take his information with a grain of NaCl if you like. He has always admitted that his films are biased. But in any case, it is an interesting film about American health care (though I will be the first to admit, I have been fortunate enough to not have gone through any of the things the people he interviewed have gone through). OK, got that out of the way.

Again, I am not coming at this from the political, economic stand point because I am way too lazy to do the homework and I really don't care because I think it is simple...EVERYONE SHOULD BE ABLE TO GO TO THE DR WITHOUT GOING BROKE!!!!

As most of you know...when I was 17 I was in a car accident and it led to allot of problems and I have had to see a Dr constantly for the past 13 years. Admittedly, I had insurance for many of those years from my parents and boyfriend. However, when my boyfriend lost his job, no more health care. Guess what I have? A preexisting condition that requires thousands of dollars in Dr and prescription care. So guess what?? No one wants to insure me. The best I could do was Washington State Health Insurance Pool costing a whopping $1000 every 3 months with a PPO $500 deductible for care and $500 for drugs and a $15 co-pay (it was pointless for me to do the other options because of the care I needed. I do have to say though, they offered awesome insurance coverage. Acupuncture and the lot). I was only able to fund this through money I was given from stocks (luckily when that money ran out I was in Britain).

Now, I understand, I am one of the people the average tax payer who isn't sick DOESN'T want to pay for...fair enough...and frankly, with the amount of care I had to receive, I wouldn't want to be stuck with average "free" health care. But what about the random sickness?? What if you are one of the healthy people who gets horribly ill and ends up in the hospital? What if you are one of the thousands of people who lost their jobs and have a preexisting condition?? Even better, what if your CHILD has a preexisting health condition (pulling on the heart strings now)?

But I digress...
So...I love my Drs at home. They wanted me well and went to the umpteenth degree to help me. When I came to the UK I was on 7 different medications. I soon found out that non were working, because as soon as my Dr and I decided I wasn't "on loan" from the US, we decided I should get off some of them. And I did...I am only on 3 now. Maybe it was because it was seen by my NHS Dr that my meds were a strain on the NHS or maybe it was because she isn't used to seeing someone on so much medication because they think of other ways to help people besides pushing drugs. I don't know. All that I know is that I don't have to take so much medication and am healthier for it. However, one of the medicines I HAVE to take costs $1000/ month in the US and about $12.00 in the UK!!! HOW CAN THAT BE? Sometimes I get generic and sometimes name brand, it makes no difference, it is the same price.

Now whether or not you think everyone should see the Dr for free or not is up to you, however, having to take a drug that costs $1000/month is scandalous!! Especially when you can get it for $12.00 somewhere else. To me, this is the issue EVERYONE needs to get behind. We need to be able to get drugs from other countries at our neighbourhood pharmacies.

And so as I mulled over the discussion Jan and I were having via Facebook posts, I realized that I don't think the issue is about socialized health care at all. I think it is about trusting the American government with our health care. Jan mentioned the Military and Veteran's health care and I do remember my short stint working at the chiropractor's office and having to get get COBRA and Medicare to pay for people. However, we had just as much trouble getting auto insurance to pay for medical bills as well...so it is ALL screwed up, not just the government end. Something I hear all the time on the American news stations is that they don't want government between them and their Dr...well how is that any different from a cooperation? It isn't.

This has gotten really long and I am sorry, but the thing is...I can't come back to the States until Richard or I get a job that has insurance that covers preexisting conditions or the health care system gets better. And it is as simple as that. I can't afford to come home because I CAN'T AFFORD MY MEDICINE! To have the baby in the States would cost a minimum of $12,000 and that is just for an in and out, no drug, no monitor procedure in some random state, I have no idea what it would cost in Washington.

If you reached the bottom of the page, please comment below. Again, please don't yell at me.

5 comments:

Jonathan! said...

I had no idea health care cost so much in the US. I think thats a crazy amount of money to ask of anyone!

I've never had a problem with the NHS and think the prescription price is very reasonable. If people don't like using the NHS then thats what we have Bupa for!

Emma said...

How can anyone think that free healthcare for all is bad...I guess people that think that are the ones that can afford to pay private. Some are not so lucky...

Jessika said...

Thank you to my English friends for commenting on my comment page...
This healthcare issue is fast becoming one of my beefs, right there behind gay marriage and abortion. IT is creating a huge amount of anger in my system. Normally I can understand where people are coming from and I can try to relate...but things like gay marriage, abortion and a National Health Care Service I just can't even sympathise with why you would deny someone those rights...that's right, I said rights.

Jessika said...

Wow maybe I am a liberal...should I add how much I like guns and also believe strongly in the right to bear arms? Would that even out my last comment?

Jessika said...

From D...(copied from her e mail to me):

I have benefited greatly from modern pharmasudicals. This allergy season has been unbearable for me without allergy medicine. I also had a very tramatic medical situation that required a proceedure that would have left me bankrupt had I not had medical insurance. My Canadian friends said i would have waited over a year for this proceedure. In the meantime I would have been at a very high risk of stroke or anneurism. However, when I first went to the dr about my symptoms, she didn't even finish hearing my story before she was perscribing me the latest migraine medication. I refused it and much to her annoyance I requested an MRI and a refferal to a neuroligst. Refusing the pills probably saved my life.

People talk about loosing choice with a socialized system. They talk about having beaurocrats between the dr and patients. This is already hapening. Because of my previous brain problem, I now have my medical group's lawyers deciding how I will deliver my baby. My neurologist has cleared me for a natural vaginal birth, but the lawyers are having thier own drs reviewing my charts to decide whether I will be medicated (so that I don't have the urge to push) or if I will be forced to have a C-section. Of course, I don't want to risk myself or my baby and I will defer to whatever they decide is in my best interest. I chose to have a hospital birth because of my prior history. But it is an example of how suits are deciding my treatment.