Friday, February 13, 2009

Generations, revisiting my comments on Obama

Picture From Justastory

I realized (randomly) that in my article, "Here we go, Obama criticism pt 1," that I used a lot of generational terminology (I guess it is that almost minor in Sociology, and Anthropology major). I went to Wikipedia to look up what my terms actually mean.

So if you are interested I will give you some links (because I am too busy to write a big huge thing about it right now, I don't know why I am even blogging on it if I don't feel like writing on it) only because I thought it was really interesting reading.

First the sociology of it all:
Strauss and Howe
Then the definitions (which I find interesting and right on):
Baby boomers
Generation x
Generation y
Generation z (which I didn't know existed, I figured they would have a better name...what comes after z?)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting blog, but odd that you write about Obama and generations and don't even mention the generation that has most often been described as his--Generation Jones.

As many nationally influential voices have repeatedly noted, Obama is part of Generation Jones, born 1954-1965, between the Boomers and Generation X. Google Generation Jones, and you'll see it’s gotten a lot of media attention, and many top commentators from many top publications and networks (Washington Post, Time magazine, NBC, Newsweek, ABC, etc.) specifically use this term to describe Obama.

Great op-ed on Obama as the first Generation Jones President in USA TODAY a couple of weeks ago:
http://www.usatoday.com/printedition/news/20090127/column27_st.art.htm

Jessika said...

Wow, that was totally unexpected BeAheadOfTheCurve. Very rarely do I get comments from people other than my friends and family.
Thank you so much for your comment, I will look those links up.