Friday, November 4, 2011

Pen or computer







What do I prefer when I write, a pen or a computer?

It all depends really.  I used to like to write with a pen, and I do keep a journal with blank pages in my bag that I jot down silly ideas for my blog and paste pictures in.

I use the computer to write my blog.  The ideas that I outline in my journal rarely make it to the computer.  I don't like transcribing my ideas.  I like it all to be organic.  I did enough note taking in school for research papers, I never want to do that again.  Transcribing ideas ends in censorship anyway.

I am almost reluctant and fearful of the pen.  I kept a diary from the time I was 10 years old until I was about 20, and they hold scary things.  If I feel I need to write real thoughts out on paper, I nearly always throw it away (I used to burn it).  I don't really know why.  I guess I see the pen as more personal (more permanent) than the computer.  When I write with the pen, there is no editing or thought process.  I just let it flow out, most of the time it is unreadable; a total free write.

When I use the computer, I use more thought, worry about sentence structure and spelling.  There is allot of editing and rewording.  Blogging is quite difficult because you have to put your tone of voice in the writing, and let's face it, it doesn't always go over well.  It also takes one click of the mouse and your words are deleted forever, and I always assume someone else is going to look at whatever I have on the computer.

So my answer is that I use both, but they are for totally different reasons.

No comments: