Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Potty training: step one



I am so tired of trying to pin the Sprout to the changing mat, so here we go.  I read the book, and now I am ready for potty training the EC way.  I know I said I was going to wait until we came back from the States but I just can't.

The theory of Elimination Communication (EC) is that you can train even a new born to use the potty.  Third World countries do it, so why can't we?  Ever noticed that your new born cues before or while it pees?  I did, the Sprout pursed his lips together like he was a fish.  Eventually he stopped doing that because he didn't need to let me know he was peeing, it didn't matter.  Now I have noticed that he rarely gives any notice when he has to go number 1 or 2.  I feel really bad that I changed from reusable to diapers that have the ability to hold pee for 12 hours.  My little Sprout has been sitting in his waste for at least 4 hours a day!  Isn't that horrible?

Step one:  Let your child experience wetness and recognize when he has peed or pooed.

Because the Sprout doesn't cue and we stopped using reusable diapers, we have to find out what he does when he goes, if he has a routine and to let him be aware of what is going on.  We do this by ample amounts of diaper free time and a return to reusable diapers without the cover.

Luckily we still have all of the reusables, but yesterday when I used the shaped nappies, he pulled them off because they have Velcro and he got a rash around the edges.  So we ordered some training pants that will hold one pee and I am hoping that will be enough (I may get some diaper squares, depending on how the training pants go).  We have enough pre folds to put on the ground when he goes diaper free and until the potty comes, we have a bowl.  We are going to be using the ASL sign for toilet (the "T" sign with the wrist waving).  He already knows the drill for what I do in the potty because he has been following me in for the past month or so.  He even knows what the toilet paper is for!

I don't want to jinx myself, but I have a feeling once I can get him to know he is peeing, he will be receptive to the routine.  He has become quite the imitatior and loves to do what we do.  He has started becoming obsessed with putting his diaper in the trash.  I am super excited to not have to wrestle him to the floor whenever he needs a change.

I guess we will need to invest in a carpet cleaner.

On another topic, he finally said his first sentence, "Hi kitty." It is soooo cute!

No comments: