Thursday, March 3, 2011

I know I shouldn't but...

I made the mistake of adding an RSS feed to my google page for archaeologist positions within the Forest Service and other US government bodies.  Now it is getting to the time of year where they post job positions and surprisingly there are a number of permanent positions in my pay grade (which, I may add make more money than Richard).  It is really hard not to apply but a couple have really tempted me and I applied.  Now by telling people I applied sets me up for not getting the job (I don't usually believe in superstitions, but this has seemed to be a trend in my luck with jobs) but I am doing it anyway.

I will show you the jobs that temped me (all of these positions are permanent and at the GS-07 level which are the requirements for me to possibly take a job.  No use in applying for a temp job while I have a little Sprout.  I will point out that while the positions state that they not exceed 13 months, this is usually the probation period and when you read the details they say the job can extend into 4 years):


Job Title: Archeologist

Department: Department Of The Interior

Agency: Bureau of Land Management

Sub Agency: BLM - BUREAU OF LAND MANAGEMENT

Job Announcement Number: OR-DEU-2011-0051


SALARY RANGE:

$40,894.00 - $53,166.00 /year

OPEN PERIOD:

Wednesday, March 02, 2011 to Thursday, March 17, 2011

SERIES & GRADE:

GS-0193-07/07

POSITION INFORMATION:

Work schedule is full time. This is a term seasonal position not-to-exceed thirteen (13) months.

PROMOTION POTENTIAL:

07

DUTY LOCATIONS:

1 vacancy(s) in one of the following locations: Salem, OR

WHO MAY BE CONSIDERED:

All U.S. Citizens - No previous Federal Service is required.



Job Title: Archaeologist

Department: Department Of The Interior

Agency: U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service

Job Announcement Number: FS-427423-AK11


SALARY RANGE:

$33,013.00 - $40,894.00 /year

OPEN PERIOD:

Tuesday, March 01, 2011 to Monday, March 07, 2011

SERIES & GRADE:

GS-0193-05/07

POSITION INFORMATION:

Full Time Career/Career Conditional NTE 13 months

PROMOTION POTENTIAL:

09

DUTY LOCATIONS:

1 vacancy - Sherwood, OR

WHO MAY BE CONSIDERED:

United States Citizens

I was tempted because both of these positions are in Oregon.  Given I have limited experience with Oregon Archaeology, who knows.

AECOM (whom I applied for, for a job in Leeds, they wrote back saying they were interested but someone better came along and that I should apply for something else):
Sacramento is right up my alley and would include Great Basin archaeology (which I am most proficient in.  Also, Richard would have an excellent chance of getting a job here).  But the company it's self is excellent.

The truth is, I just can't get a job in the UK, mainly due to my non-existent knowledge of British Archaeology and history.  And honestly, I have no interest in it.

Know I know that people will say that this isn't really fair to Richard, but let's face it, if I am offered a job with better pay and full benefits, isn't it better for me to be the bread winner. It is annoying to me that when you get married the woman puts her career on hold for the man (I know that has not been the case for us, but Rather Richard's opportunity came first). Plus with Richards background, he should eventually get a job (I know the job market in the US is horrible, but that doesn't matter if I am pulling more money than we are currently).

We have been meaning to try to move to the States, but have dragged our feet because it all sounds like a hassle.  But the first step is one of us getting a job, so why shouldn't that be me?

Anyway, I know I shouldn't but am.  Plus even if I am offered something and can't take it, it makes me feel like I am still in the running.

1 comment:

Hillary Blake said...

I say good for you Jess! The situation will require some adjusting, but all for good reason and a better circumstance for your family. I hope that one in Salem or cali works out. Salem pays most and Cali u said ur familiar with and Richard could possibly get a job there too. I'll pray for you. Everything will work out. I can feel it. So happy!!